A major international airport’s security and building automation system was found by McAfee’s ATR team for sale for only $10 USD on the dark web. Keep reading to learn the ‘where’, ‘what’, ‘how’.
What was stolen?
- A major international airport’s security and building automation systems.
Where was this being sold?
- On the dark web there are a bunch of different marketplaces. One of them is called a remote desktop protocol (RDP) shop, which provides access to stolen systems for a small fee. Just like Spotify and Apple Music you sell ‘access’ to different content. For Spotify and Apple Music it’s a song, for the dark web it’s usually access to hacked machines.
How did they steal this information?
- It’s still unclear how they were able to get their hands on this stuff. But one thing is for sure, if the wrong people have this information they can do catastrophic damage.
Stuff like this happens everyday. What should you do to protect your personal data?
- Be careful with what information you share and who you share it with
- Set up an alert – your bank can help you set up a fraud alert on your credit card
- Sign up to our newsletter to stay up to date with the latest threats