Two vulnerabilities in modern computers have recently been found, Meltdown and Spectre. They allow hackers “to steal the entire memory contents of computers, including mobile devices, personal computers and servers running in cloud computer networks”.
The bug called Meltdown allows software to jump over protections that would normally restrict access to a device’s memory, giving hackers access to core functions and data.
In the case of Spectre, the flaw is so deeply embedded in the way modern chips are designed that while some patches can stop known exploits, fully fixing it could require redesigning computer chips and then replacing those currently in use.
These exploits are attractive to cyber criminals because they enable complete administrative access to an infected computer’s data. Malicious software that take advantage of these exploits will be able to steal whatever data they want: passwords, financial data and information from other applications.
How does this affect FixMeStick? The FixMeStick is a bootable device that runs its own clean operating system. Any malicious software that got onto the host operating system (Windows, MacOS) is not active when the FixMeStick runs and therefore the FixMeStick can detect and remove it. Because the Meltdown and Spectre exploits are so universal in their applicability and so complete in the data they expose to malicious programs, the FixMeStick is especially useful and important to remove threats that have gotten onto your computer.
So now that we know this exists what can we do?
- The major operating system manufacturers (Microsoft – Windows, Apple – MacOS) have released updates that resolve the Meltdown exploit, and address the Spectre exploit to make it far more difficult for hackers to take advantage of.
- Here’s additional information on the Windows update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892
- And here is information about the supplemental update Apple released if you have Mac OS: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208397
- Reset your passwords. If you don’t use a password manager, get one! We recommend Dashlane Password Manager. It’ll generate new passwords for your accounts in one-click. Ensuring they are unique and complex for each account. Get an exclusive discount here because you’re a FixMeStick customer.
- Make sure your computer is clean by running a FixMeStick scan today.
- FixMeStick is the best way to scan your computer to see if it is infected and to remove those infections. Antivirus is the best real time defense against infections. At FixMeStick, we recommend McAfee Total Protection and have secured a discount for our customers.
McAfee® Total Protection
– Protect up to 5 devices – computers, smartphones and tablets.
– Real time protection from the latest threats.
– Protect yourself from identity theft.
We’ve partnered with McAfee for an exciting deal! This exclusive discount is only available to FixMeStick customers.