Dashlane released findings from an analysis of 61.5 million passwords and found the most common sports teams found in passwords. Keep reading to learn the “NFL Password Power Rankings”, and if you prefer the English Premier League – we have that too!
If you predicted the Philadelphia Eagles winning last year’s Super Bowl, then you may have also guessed that the Eagles would take the top spot for NFL teams in passwords. If soccer is your thing, the team most mentioned from the Premier League is Liverpool. Unfortunately, if you use these common sports teams for your password you won’t be winning anything. Poor password habits mean you’re more likely to get hacked.
- Philadelphia Eagles
- Dallas Cowboys
- Oakland Raiders
- Miami Dolphins
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- Chicago Bears
- New York Giants
- Los Angeles Rams
- New Orleans Saints
- Green Bay Packers
- Manchester United
- West Ham United
- Newcastle United
- Tottenham Hotspur
You can check out the complete list here.
The analysis demonstrates when prompted for a password people generally choose a familiar and easily remembered word with a few numbers. According to the Password Project study, 52% of people recycle similar passwords across platforms — this is not best practice. Just like using your name, school, or any other additional personally identifiable information, your favorite teams should be avoided to protect yourself.
So how can you secure your digital life?
- Use unique, complex passwords for all your accounts (yes, this means longer than 8 characters with lots of extra symbols !1@2#3$4%5^6&7*8(9)
- Avoid passwords that have common phrases, slang, places or personally identifiable information (like your favorite sports team)
- Only connect to an unsecured WiFi network using a VPN, we recommend Hotspot Shield. Try it here!
- Use a password manager to generate, store, and manage your passwords.
We recommend Dashlane Password Manager because that’s what we use in our office. The New York Times calls Dashlane “life-changingly great”!
- STORE – keep all your passwords and personal info in one convenient place.
- SECURE – Protect sensitive information with patented security architecture and real-time alerts.
- ACCESS – securely autofill forms and logins with your store passwords and personal info, wherever you go!